Sunday, February 20, 2011

Do you learn with online learng??


In the article entitled “Online learning isn’t learning online,” I agree with every opinion of the blogger.  All of the online classes that I have completed were either pre-made so that the instructor didn’t (seemingly) have to do much of anything (self grading multiple-choice tests, discussion boards that meant little to the class, ect.).  Or the teacher didn’t care enough to correct thing that needed to be corrected when the problem was raised.  When I completed my degree from a college back east, they nicked and dimmed me for every little thing; that I felt more like I was buying my degree than I was earning one. 
            As far as the student’s comments about liking their online classes, I think most of them see it as a way for them to TRY to have the best of both worlds. I mean that, the student can please mommy and daddy by “going to college,” but then they get what they want in the sense they have all of the free time that they want. That is until they have fallen too far behind in the class and they are trying to make get enough point from the few remaining to pass; or the end of the semester comes in an online class that didn’t have deadlines, and they think that they can do 4 months of work in a week or less.  Then when grades come out they have to try to explain mom and dad where their money went, way they have such a great tan when they spent all their time in the library. 
            I think it is clear where I stand with online classes.  I take them because I have to at times, but I would much prefer to have a good in person teacher standing in front of me using technology and imparting knowledge unto me than sitting in front of my computer screen, were I play game and listen to music most of the time, trying to complete an assignment.
            This is in now way meant to reflect my feelings about this class. If you promise not to tell I am really starting to like this one; might have something to do with the fact that I can see the need for. Maybe??

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but what if listening to music or playing games WAS part of the online class? Which is better, hearing someone talk about pendulums, or designing and conducting the experiment yourself to see how they work? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/galileo/expe_flash_2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Sukey on this one. If a student were able to create a game of the topic, they would have to research the information and create accordingly. They would eventually learn even more by becoming accountable for the outcome!

    ReplyDelete